Monday, June 01, 2009

Perspective

Last night I found out that a friend from college had died of cancer a few months ago. We weren't close, and actually hadn't spoken in 4 years, but I was still in shock. She was only a few months older than me, and it really shook me. She had 2 little kids that are now 3 and 5 and a husband trying to hold their family together. It gave me some perspective and some serious gratitude for what I have: health, a home, family, friends, and the cutest darn girls ever. So when Sydney begged to go outside at 8:30 pm while clad only in a diaper and my high heels, what do you think I said?
I'm not that nice! Yes, she's distraught.
So we compromised. I took away the shoes (she would have broken her neck!) and replaced them with her flip flops. Then I made her put on her rain coat.
Then we jumped in puddles!
She was so thrilled by this and honestly, it wasn't going to kill her! I'm sure my neighbors thought we were nuts, but we had fun.
I know it's dark, sorry. It is almost 9pm.

We warmed up with hot chocolate when we were done. In order to keep Sydney slightly clean I gave her a straw.
She was so happy about it she even said "More chocolate pease!" The first time she's ever said 3 words together! We can barely get her to say 2 words together, so this was huge! Then she handed me the camera and said "cheese!" Yup, that's chocolate on her mouth, not dirt.
Sydney learned 4 new words yesterday (which is pretty normal now). She learned rain, markers, puddle, and chapstick (oh goody).
I'm not going to spend time dwelling on the depressing facts of life that are all around me, but I am going to try to live each day to the fullest. We've been richly blessed and we need to enjoy the good times so we have great memories to look back on when storms come into our lives. Then again, when those storms come, maybe we can just jump in the puddles!

12 comments:

Nikki said...

Amen! Thanks for the reminder. I love your blog!

Allison said...

Great perspective. I love that you celebrate the moments with puddle jumping. So fun!!

Heath and Jessica said...

Great idea to enjoy the simple things. I can totally see you guys out jumping in puddles. Next you will teach her how to make mudpies.

Rebecca E. said...

That's awesome! I love you guys! We are big fans of playing in the rain here. It'd be fun to be neighbors... :)

rick and cheryl said...

Amen, sista. You really are good at finding joy in the moment. Thanks for sharing.

Grandma V said...

Making memories are the best! Wish I could have jumped in the puddles with you!

Katie said...

interesting how things are put in to perspective! i love the puddle pictures..what a doll!

Chrissy said...

You truly are blessed, and your family is dang cute. I hope to have a girl someday... and if not a granddaughter.

Kristin said...

Great post--and a nice reminder! I love the puddle jumping. You're a great mom!

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

That makes me SMILE Dev!

Karen said...

I'm sorry about your friend Dev. Love this post. You are a fabulous mother. Those little girls are so lucky to have you.

The Grapers said...

I love it! She has her own style and you don't cramp it unless its a hazard to her health! Your girls are so cute.