Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Yup, that's what it was

So we're still mourning the fact that my parents had to go home (darn those jobs), but the kids were a little better than yesterday. As in, not quite so whiny. We are putting the girls in the same room to sleep now, which is good and bad. Good because we might actually have a room that isn't filled with toys and small clothes. Bad because when one wakes up, so does the other. Today at 6:45, early riser Mady woke up (it's usually 6:09, so this was good). Aaron went to grab her and Sydney immediately woke up. He brought her to me, went back for Mady, and she was asleep. The kid slept until 8:15, which left lots of time for breakfast, clothes, and a bubble bath. She got a head start.
This kid loves bubbles and baths, so this was a winning combination. I was not fast enough getting her in, obviously.
Happy happy day
After a 2.5 hour nap, we went to lunch with a friend. We grabbed Subway and ate it at the splash park nearby. Mady was happy to just look around.
Sydney was particularly attached to this metal sculpture of a bear. She kept kissing his bum. What can I say, she's a friendly kid.
Great story for today: While eating our lunch, a very friendly little girl (around 2-3 years old) came and sat by us. As in, right in the middle of our little group. Normally I'm all for small children running around and playing with other people (their parents are watching from afar, right?), but Sydney was already distracted and her new little friend was not helping with my attempts to get her to eat something besides bear. After a couple of polite attempts to get the girl to go back to her mom, we sort of gave up. Finally her mom came huffing over all put out and said, (very loudly, I might add), "Come on, Aspen. I've been watching and these people obviously don't want you around their little girl. She must not be very nice!" and again as "Aspen" was dragged away, "She must not be a very nice little girl, they don't want you by her."
Yeah, that's what it was. My kid is mean so I was concerned for your kid's well-being. Mmm-hmm. Maybe it's just me, but I usually try to assume that people don't want my kids around and let them tell me differently instead of the other way around. I guess I'm weird like that. How about you?
Then I took Sydney to the Splash park since she kept saying "splash" and "kids!" over and over. She was less than thrilled. The swim suit was completely unnecessary. She got about 10 drops of water on her as I dragged her through one fountain saying, "no no no!"
We had some sisterly bonding during diaper changes (Mady is trying to hold Sydney's hand while Sydney is saying "No Mady!")
Daddy showed off his mad Lego building skills and built a house for all of Sydney's beloved animals. I was impressed. Aaron decided we need more Lego's. Can you really ever have enough? It's fun to see Sydney engage in imaginative play though now. And she can play by herself for slightly longer periods of time. Oh the joys. Today I sat and watched her while I read 5 pages of a book. Good times.
We ended the day by eating s'mores (Syd's first). She wasn't overly impressed and preferred the straight marshmallows. Also I discovered that marshmallows do not roast very well when held over the BBQ grill. I think I'll start a fire in a metal bowl next time and try that.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

YES! First to post. I can tell you spent a lot of time thinkning about this. And this will be the last memory I have of you guys before I leave. But I had fun and we had some very intresting moments!

Will miss you guys,
Ashley

Heath and Jessica said...

Evidentally, some parents think that it is okay for their kids to go wandering off to complete strangers to play with their kids. She isn't very observant. She must not have wanted to take care of "Aspen" & thought you could take care of an extra kid.

Vern said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday - glad to know I am in good company! Your girls are so cute, and that bear's butt IS awfully tempting.

Rachel said...

I have combined kids in rooms. I find that in the beginning they may wake eachother up, but not for long. For example, last night Israel woke up from a nightmare screaming at the top of his lungs. I didn't know he could be so loud. I am across the house and he sleeps with one sister with the other two right next to him. Not one kid woke up. Even after I gave up on getting him back to sleep and let him scream for a while. My kids have learned to sleep through eachother doing so many things thanks to sharing a room. Don't give up.