Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Feelings of Entitlement

Just some random musings here. I was reading today and came across a point where some men say "it is our right," and it made me stop and think. What makes us have such feelings of entitlement? I understand making a deal with someone or exchanging goods and services, but that's not what I mean. I'm talking about true feelings of entitlement. For example, I know many couples who when they were first married felt they were entitled to the many comforts and conveniences their parents had after 30 years of marriage. I felt entitled to give birth (until I got over that and we got Sydney). Others feel entitled to good health or affluence, despite their lifestyle choices and work ethics. Does this make sense yet? Why do we feel the world owes us anything? What have we done that makes us so special? It's normal and human to feel this way, but why? No answers today, just thoughts.

2 comments:

Rachel and Tyler said...

I totally agree with you. I think it is outragous sometimes when people think they deserve certain things from people. When Tyler was in elders quorum everyone would call and just expect to be moved in or out and its not that he minded but he thought it was strange how people just thought it was their right. That is just one example but you see it all around you. I think if we looked at the good things that happened as blessings and with gratitude things would run smoother and we would not feel so let down by our unrealistic expectations.

Haylee Mecham said...

I also agree. I think its funny how the world had put so much emphasis on having everything now. And our parents had to work so hard to get there. (And maybe this isn't exactly what you mean but this is my take and what I thought). All of us have different paths in life and we will all get to the same place eventually. Like what you said about being entitled to giving birth. Or anything of that matter. It is the Lord who decides what we each need and that is the only way we progress and learn from this life. I am so grateful for having to work hard for the things I want badly. It makes us all better people in the end.