Saturday, September 08, 2007

All Our Bags Were Packed...

So we took off for Arizona on Saturday morning at 7:28 - only about 1 hour later than planned, but oh well! We were pretty much completely packed the night before, so I think we just had the slows!




I found it interesting how much the landscape changed as we went south. We had the mountatins of Colorado, and as I-25 turned East, we got more into the plains. Once in New Mexico I sort of expected it to become a baren desert (no offense Jordan), but I was surprised that there were areas with lots of trees, and then it would abruptly become very brown, dry, and flat. Not 2 minutes after I took this picture we were surrounded by trees again, it was really odd.


We stopped in Santa Fe and got gas and had our sandwiches. As we came off the interstate, we saw a gas station where unleaded was $3.19. We almost choked, so we went about 1/2 mile further and found that inside the city limits it was only $2.85. We had lunch and I jumped in the driver's seat (those of you who know me know that I am a serious narcoleptic, particularly when it comes to long meetings or car rides, so this was a big deal! I drove to the Arizona state line where we stopped for a bathroom break.
This turned out to be a fairly interesting experience since the water was yellow (even after flushing - ew!) and the soap smelled and looked just like the liquid part of a cherry cordial. Double ew. We had the nice lady in the welcome center fill our water bottles and they came back clear and clean. Whew.

We drove for awhile more and finally got up into the mountains near Snowflake, AZ. Then we settled in to wait for news...

2 comments:

The Dixon Family said...

Yeah, should've warned you about New Mexico. Sorry. And when you say "trees" I think you really mean overgrown weeds/bushes. Not beautiful trees by any means. Oh well, the desert is beautiful in it's own special way . . .

Southern Spud said...

you doze off in meetings/car rides? Maybe you should be checked for sleep apnea! ;) Seth would fall asleep in at least one class a day. Bad, huh!