Thursday, April 17, 2008

Confession

Ok it's confession time. This morning on the news they were doing a bit about the rising cost of groceries and how buying 1 container each of bread, cheese, eggs, chicken, and milk now costs $40. Last year at this time it cost $32 and next year they think it will cost $48. Their suggestions to combat this additional expense? Use a grocery store club card, go for generic brands, and even start clipping coupons. Now I'm sure that many people at this point in the news hour went, GASP! Coupons? Coupons are not worth it! Why clip to save 50 cents? No, they're not for me! But I must admit (here's the confession part) I secretly LOVE coupon shopping.
There, my secret's out. I love clipping coupons, taking them to the store with me, and finding my items that I need and matching them up with my coupons. I love getting to the register and watching my total price drop when my coupons are applied. I love to scan through all the grocery ads and find the best place to use my coupon. It makes me feel like I'm cheating the system or something because I refuse to pay more for something than I feel is right. (Wow, that sounded kind of pathetic! I guess I'm really easily entertained!) Anyway though, I really do love doing all of that.
Here's an example: On Tuesday I went to King Soopers and purchased some Pillsbury Biscuits (in the exploding cans!). They were 10 for $10, but if you bought 10 you got $5 back. So I bought 10 for $5, but then I used a coupon for each can of biscuits that I bought, and the store I was at doubles coupons! I ended up getting 10 cans of great Pillsbury biscuits for about $2. I then proceeded to do the same thing with scalloped potatoes, rice cakes, granola bars, yogurt, and a bunch of other food. I bought in bulk, I used my coupons and my club card, and I was a little bit giddy as I watched my total go from $62 (after my club card savings) to $19. That was just a good feeling. :)
Now you all know my secret. Think what you will, but I'll still enjoy paying far less for my items than most people. It's my dirty little secret. Shhh. ;)

6 comments:

Annie said...

That is so awesome, Dev! I love bargain hunting! I can't believe you got $62 worth of groceries for $19! That is true talent! Thanks for sharing the secret!

Heath and Jessica said...

Dev, I love how you try different things to see how much you can save! I always loved cutting coupons & using them also, but now you have me using them in a whole different way, depending on what brand name the symbol is after! I wish we had a store that would double coupons!

Shawn and Brittany said...

I totally know how you feel. Last weekend I got grounded from the grocery store cause I went and they were having the same sale here- 10 for $10 and then $5 off with Smiths card. So, I maxed out all the sales on Gatorade (the huge ones were 50cents and we go through them like water during jet skiing season), cake mixes and muffin mixes. I filled an entire cart with those three items and spent less than $20! I was giddy when I was done...until I had to find a place to store it all. My favorite is clothes though cause if you use coupons on clearance life is good. Or last weekend I got a $10 gift certificate in the mail to Kohls. Well I went in and bought 2 baby outfits for $10 (sale) and then used the card so I got out of there for free with two outfits! It is addicting. How do you find good coupons for food?

Amber said...

OK, I'll have to try harder. I just hate going to 7 different places for stuff...am I really saving with the price of gas and time?
It better be worth it!

Haylee Mecham said...

JC makes fun of me when I clip coupons... He thinks it is weird... But oh well. It saves us a bunch of money... And all thanks to Mom we are all coupon freaks.. ha ha!

Heath and Jessica said...

Okay, so I know this is an older post, but I had to share!!! I saw my total on Saturday go from $72 to $51.00. Not quite as good as you did, but we don't have stores that double coupons. It is almost a high when you get to see your total go down significantly! I love coupons!!!!