Thursday, April 17, 2008

Baby Food

I'm kind of amazed at the ridiculously high prices of baby food! I mean seriously people, why are we charged $1.18 for 2 little tubs of food? It seems like highway robbery to me (sort of like the formula and, oh yeah, most things for the little guys of our worlds? Anyway, I thought it would be kind of fun to do a "how to make your own baby food" post. Here we go.

1. Cut sweetmeat squash in half (or quarters depending on the size of the squash and your pan)
2. Place in baking dish with 1 inch water
3. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.
4. Scoop out squash and blend in the blender until smooth
5. Put pureed squash into freezer-safe containers
6. Freeze large portions, refrigerate small portions.
7. Feed to your hungry baby abd enjoy not buying squash at the baby aisle any more.

4 comments:

Adrianne Miller said...

DID SHE LIKE IT????

Shawn and Brittany said...

My friend does these in ice cube containers and puts them all in a ziploc bag. Then she pulls out and defrosts for 30 seconds and they are good to go! I can't wait to try all these things! I need to get a new freezer.

Heath and Jessica said...

Nancy also did her baby food in ice cube trays & put them in ziploc bags. She made baby food in a huge assortment of foods: squash, avocados (her girls loved!), beans, peas, carrots, potatoes, & even tried okra, but her kids didn't like it. (Who would blame them!)

Jenene said...

I soooo got tired of buying expensive baby food, even with great coupons I'd get in the mail. I was out of food one day and pulled a 40-cent can of store-brand carrots out of the cupboard and proceeded to make smashed carrots (with all the yummy ingredients...butter, salt, pepper) for Ian. He loved it. I still bought some jarred food for back up, but by the time Olivia came, I mostly made my own because it was WAY less expensive.

Caution, don't experiment mixing spinach and squash. It makes for messy clean up as soon as it's spit out all over you AND the little bit that makes it in to the tummy has totally icky poop effects.

Love, Aunt Jenene