I've been thinking a lot lately about how absolutely lucky we are to have Sydney. Yesterday as I was walking Sydney to the park in her stroller, I thought, this is my absolute dream come true!
A friend and I were talking about our babies yesterday and how we both usually wake up before our babies actually cry. Whether it's because their breathing patterns change, they start rustling, or because we just have a connection with them, it happens. I already knew it, but it was a nice reinforcement that giving birth isn't mandatory for being a mom. It doesn't matter how we got this little monkey, she's ours. She knows and loves us and it's so fun to be her parents. I don't want to turn this into a "you should all go have kids" because that's not what it is. I just feel incredibly blessed to have been able to be a part of this adoption.
I love my baby. I love feeding her, playing with her, dressing and bathing her, and I don't even mind changing her! I know a lot of women don't feel fulfilled enough staying at home with their kids (and I know that many other women are not actually able to stay at home - I'm not judging anyone here), but I couldn't imagine a more fulfilling and wonderful way to spend my days, weeks, and months than with this amazing little person. Plus, after taking so long to get this little squirt, how could I let anyone else raise her if it's humanly possible for me to stay home and do it? I couldn't miss a single moment - every new discovery is an absolute joy. Aaron often says that I have all the fun, and he's totally right. Taking care of kids is sometimes hard and is a lot of work, but gosh it's great. I'd totally rather change 6 poopy diapers than go to the office each day. :)

15 comments:
I will trade work for poopey diapers! My favorite picture is the first one with the sunglasses- she is a little summer babe!
Sydney is such a cutie. I would trade work for poopie diapers anyday too!
I agree with you whole heartedly Dev!
Sydney was meant to go to your family, she just couldn't come the more direct route & had to take a detour instead.
That was a great post. I love the picture of her sitting up in her dress!
As I was reading a very angry email from my boss this morning, I was jealous of you!
Down with work!!!! Hooray for babies!
So true... I love it. Being a mom is the greatest, how blessed we are. She is growing so fast and is just adorable.
Being a parents is such an adventure! I love it so much and I am so glad you are enjoying your little one. She is so cute. Maybe we can set her and Spencer up someday!
My parents have adopted SIX kids. Each one was a miracle.
I hope no one passes an opportunity up to be a parent because they are scared of how it all might turn out. It will turn out beautifully! Even if there are struggles along the way - it will always be worth it.
I love the pic of Sydney sitting on the planter!
He said it right, "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."
I think it's the children that bring us the greatest joy in life.
Devony -
I'm Kristi Hill's older sister Cori and I have been lurking on yoru blog for a long time now. I know I haven't seen you for well over 10 years, but I enjoy reading about your sweet family and seeing pictures of your super cute daugher. I've been meaning to leave a comment for so long, but your post today pushed me over the edge. It was beautiful. We are about a month or so(fingers crossed) away from posting our *first* pictures of our little one. You can get the link to our blog from Kristi's, if you would like to check it out sometime.
Best wishes to all three of you!
I love you Devony! I identify with you so much and I appreciate your awesome example to me. I am so thrilled for your good news about the temple! I definitely have to call you soon...we're about due for our VT phone call, right?! Plus, I've read Twilight! Can't wait to chat about it.
Awww, Dev...you're such a good mom.
Stay-at-home moms do have all the fun, but a lot of work, too! I get so peeved when someone says to me "Oh, you don't work?"
Once my hands are pryed from around their neck, I politely reply "No, I just raise my 4children in a 24-hr-a-day, 7-day work week, with no lunch breaks, sick leave, or bathroom priveleges, but the bonuses are great!"
The best thing that ever happened to me was getting sick while pregnant with Olivia. Staying home in bed for 8 months adjusted our spending and totally readied us for me to stay home permanently.
I guess God knows what's best, eh?
I agree 100 million times over Dev!! I feel the same about CJ - we had to wait and wait and wait for him to finally arrive, and when he did - we couldn't have imagined a more perfect world!! I can't even remember my life without him really, he's just always been here it seems.
Sydney is ADORABLE!! I can't wait to meet her for myself!! :)
Sweet hat Aaron!
What a great post..THANK YOU! She is such a sweet angel and you guys definitely deserve her and vice versa. Miss you! BTW, that is a pretty sexy hat aaron has on.. :)
I am glad your dream came true! You deserved it! You have a beautiful family Dev!
I love you guys and love Sydney. I am so glad she is part of the family. And you are right...it takes more than giving birth to be a Mother. You are an amazing mother and I hope you and Sydney will always have a special relationship. By the way, the photo with Syd and her glasses is priceless.
Post a Comment