Tuesday, October 13, 2009

How God teaches me humility...

On Monday I was sick and Sydney tried to convince me to let her eat a whole box of crackers at once. I had to inform her that although I was sick, I wasn't delusional. Yesterday it might have worked though. Yesterday morning Aaron went on a business trip to Utah (don't worry, he's coming back today). While he was flying over the mountains in the early morning, I woke up feeling rather nauseated. Not cool. Both kiddos got up and we came down to have breakfast. While talking to my friend Karen telling her how crappy I felt, this is how it went:

Karen: Do you want me to come get Sydney?
Me: Oh, it's ok, I don't want you to have to do that (she has 2 kids just months older than mine)
Karen: Seriously, it's not a big deal
Me: Well, I might... wait...wait, Wait, WAIT! (thump as I toss the phone into a nearby basket of blankets as I dash to the bathroom)
Sydney: (in high chair) Mommy, I done!
Me:
Sydney: Mommy, I DONE!
Me: Mommy's busy, Sydney
Me: (back on the phone) uh, sorry Karen.
Karen: I'm coming to get your kids. I'll be there in 10 minutes.
Me: ok

Later as she and my visiting teacher met in my driveway to get my kids and bring me survival supplies (aka Sprite and Chicken Noodle soup) they discussed how glad they were that my children would not be in my care that day.
To be honest, I agreed with them. I don't think it would have gone so well.
Strangely enough, after a nap and some food, I felt great. Not just better, but like I had never been sick. Weird right? And definitely not flu-like. So maybe NyQuil doesn't agree with me? Or some undercooked chicken somewhere? Or maybe my body was ticked at the lack of sleep I get (courtesy of Mady) and decided it needed to take drastic measures for me to have a day off. Regardless of the cause, I'm overly grateful that Karen and Robin were there to take care of me. Thanks guys. My kiddos thank you to. They probably would have gotten ignored at my house for a time.

5 comments:

Heath and Jessica said...

That is great that you have such a good friend in Karen & wonderful visiting teacher. That is how the church & friends are supposed to work. Wish everyone in my ward would get on that mode.

Allison said...

Oh you poor thing. Yuck Yuck Yuck. I'm with Jessica...good thing your neighbors are so great! I'm glad you are all feeling better now!

by the way... Could you use two buy one get one free Enfamil coupons? I can't remember what Mady is on, but if you can, let me know and I will pop them in the mail!

Karen said...

I was secretly just trying to find a way to get Eli a playmate for the day. Worked like a charm.

Also, no more Nyquil for you my friend.

Shawn and Brittany said...

That is awesome story...not that you had to be sick!

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Oh Devony! That makes me want to cry a little for you! Hope you are feeling better! Karen needs a super hero cape! What a great friend!