Sunday, June 13, 2010
A Little Help Here?
I'm putting out a call for ideas here. We're trying to figure out how to teach Sydney to WANT to be good and listen to us. Sometimes, she's awesome, but it's usually only when I've convinced her there is mortal danger (like around cars, etc.). I know that a lot of it is simply the fact that she's only 2 1/2 years old, but really, I feel like a lot of the time we're going backward instead of forward. So for those of you who've been there, know someone who has, or have some genius ideas, please please please share!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I'm not sure how to help you here Dev. Eli and Max always listen and never do anything outlandish or embarrassing. Good luck.
Bwa ha ha ha h aha!
I'm so jealous of your perfect children. Life is so unfair.
Let me know when you figure it out. I ask myself this question daily. We did a sticker chart for bedtime and that helped the tantrums a little and she still actually listens most of the time when we tell her it is time for bed. We tried time outs and losing privileges when she was not listening and that works pretty well, but she usually responds better to positive reinforcement (but it is really hard to be positive when she won’t listen to me). If Kenzie doesn't want to listen, she will make sure I know and do the exact opposite. I have also decided that the terrible 3's are worse than the terrible 2's because they are so much more independent. I think this might just be something that they have to outgrow (I hope), but if you figure it all out then please pass the wisdom along :)
uh yeah. good luck with whatever you choose. I have noticed that although independent, Livi was a pretty good girl. Now Spencer on the other hand..HANDFUL! But I agree with the Coopers...3's are MUCH harder!
Read this: http://melhoney.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/fear-can-be-a-good-thing/
:)
Not because I have been there yet but I have found with kids of all ages they want to do the fun choice so the trick is in your wording- not "dont run in the street" but "see how many lines you can smash on the sidewalk before we get to the park". Good luck!
like shawn & brittany said, focus on positive ways to redirect her. We always forget this and are again trying to get back into it! S has just started "daddy monster" again, (daddy can't get her if she's brushing, changing, etc.) which helps get her moving on bedtime routine things (she's 4, so she can obviously do each thing completely on her own). Suddenly, it's taking her only 2 min to potty, 2 min to brush her teeth, and 2 min. to change into pjs!!! (oh, and "beat the timer!" that we pulled out a day or two beforehand helped with that as well.) It used to take 30-40 minutes with us nagging and grouching all along!!! email me if you need more ideas, and when it's not 1:43 a.m. and my brain is really on, I'll send you more of what's worked for us with H.
Good luck with that. I'd like the magic answer as well. :)
I usually keep a jar overflowing with candy and a fridge full of soda. That way when they don't listen and pump them full of sugar! Juuuust kidding. Dev...good luck, it's a doozy!
I have a book you might like though...it's called
" 123 Magic " My sister used and swears by it!
My sister has a little girl who has been a challenge. They started paying her 25 cents for every day that she listened to them and behaved. Every night, they would talk about their day and if she got her quarter, they'd put it in a cute little bank. Worked pretty well, because she learned how to save, got special toys she paid for, and it gave my sister more control.
Post a Comment