Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Women's Day

I have a confession: I'm slightly anti-mother's day. I mean don't get me wrong, I love being pampered and told why I am a great mom and have a day be about me, but I hate the exclusivity of it. (Is that a word?) I think it should be about all women, not just those that have been blessed with children. I know lots of women who don't have children that are MUCH better mothers than a lot of women that DO have children. Children don't make you a mom, not in the sense I mean. Being a mom is something that you cultivate inside yourself. Being loving, caring, and nurturing to those around you. In that vein, there are some women in my life who deserve some serious kudos today.

Moms that raised Aaron and I, Aunts that helped raise each of us, Grandmas, without whom our moms (or aunts) would not be here. Then there are sisters and sister-in-laws that have been the best friends I could have asked for and the best aunties my girls could ever have, friends that should be sisters, cousins and many many more.

"As daughters of Eve, we are all mothers and we have always been mothers. If we really want to make a difference, it will happen as we mother those we have borne and those we are willing to bear with." (read the rest of this talk)

So as my tribute to YOU (yes, you), Happy Womens, Mothers, Sisters, Aunts, Cousins, and Grandmas Day. We love you! Now go kiss and hug the women in your life!

More of those darling pictures to come soon!

10 comments:

Adrianne Miller said...

I LOVE THAT PICTURE!!!!!! I can't wait to see the rest! I really liked this post. I have been feeling like I'm cheating today by saying that it's my day but I guess I am not.
Mady sure looks different in the picture. She is changing a lot. I really can't wait to see the rest.

Mortensen Baby Farm said...

Could that picture BE any cuter?

Nikki said...

Amen!

Karen said...

Happy Mother's Day to YOU my dear. I also love that picture so much. y Notice the difference in the pics we posted...it says a lot about the personalities of our kiddos. Some come sweet...some...not so much. Love you!

liv said...

I love the way you put this. I've thought about this too, but couldn't come up with the right words..I read an interesting talk by sister Holland, and she mentions how Eve, was called the Mother of all living before she even had children...way before..
Thank you Devony. You have been such a good example to me. I hope all is going well in your life :)

rick and cheryl said...

Very cute picture of your girls. Hope they start feeling better soon. And good thoughts, very true.

Heath and Jessica said...

I have felt the same way too, even more so now that I am not an "official" mother. I love the bestest auntie day though. I have the bestest sisters in the world!!! Thanks!

Amber said...

Ditto, but I love the gifts and the pampering, too!

Anonymous said...

I agree. One of our friends didn't go to church because it's too hard for her. They've been trying to adopt for five years!

Haylee Mecham said...

I love it... Thanks