Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Sense of Accomplishment

First, a goofy pic of my cute kiddo. She has discovered this bowl, which she puts on her head so it looks like a little bowler hat. It's too small, so it falls off, and she laughs. Dang, I love that kid.
Now the real reason for my posting - let's face it - I love to craft, and I dabble in pretty much every crafty type project there is. Sewing, painting, floral design, scrapbooking, etc. You name it, I've usually tried it. Not to say I'm actually good at all or any of these things, but I enjoy most of them. However, I have a major craft flaw - I go in serious spurts. I get things done that we NEED throughout the year, but my crafty projects I want and like to do wait until crafting season begins. Which is now.
During spring, summer, and even a lot of fall, I want to read, go to the park, work in the garden, or laze around the pool. Crafting is work during those months. But when that cold chill comes into the air and I start dreaming of Christmas trees and snow days (usually sometime in late September), the craft bug in me comes out! Take this year for example - in the past few weeks I have: sanded and painted this nativity (which Syd decided to eat 5 min later. I saved Baby Jesus, but Mary and the sheep have a few battle wounds)
Made/finished our stockings (I am soooo proud of this one since it took me like 4 years to do!). Also notice the new baby even has a stocking minus the name (since she doesn't have one yet).
Decorated my turkey with fall leaves instead of suckers (Syd throws tantrums when she sees suckers and we're working on eating healthier anyway)
I also made Sydney a new blanket, fixed an old blanket, made an apron, darned 3 socks, hemmed 2 pair of pants and completed 2 soft books. My project pile is rapidly depleting! Hooray! I feel so productive. Happy day!

Also in BIG news - today Sydney took her first steps! No walking yet, but she did take a couple of unassisted steps and fall into our arms! Yay Sydney! We'll get video when it happens again.

13 comments:

The Dixon Family said...

Okay so my parents totally have that nativity. I can remember putting it together every year as a kid.

Allison said...

wow... look at you go crafty girl!

Nikki said...

I am SO AMAZED! I wish I had some crafty skills. I put up the pilgrim oots we....er mostly you....made. =) I wish we lived closer so maybe some could rub off on me.

Heath and Jessica said...

At least you know Syd is easily entertained! Your nativity looks very much like mom's! I haven't painted mine yet. The stockings look great, & what a wonderful idea for the turkey!

Anonymous said...

Sydney cann't be walking already!!! I remember when she was a newborn. And cuite crafts. I wish I could hem....I really need to learn. Considering my size. So we will see.

Anonymous said...

WOW you have been getting so much done. YAY for steps.

Christina said...

Look at you!! I attempt all those things as well, but I'm ashamed to admit, I really stink at most of them. I envy you who can have success with what you try. I love the sucker replacement. Great idea!

KWit said...

How neat to meet up with you guys again. Yes we remember you. Took a minute with the names, but the faces made it easy. Congrats on your family. She is so sweet and another on the way. We are doing great. We'll have to keep in contact with the blogs, isn't it great...
holdingon2life.blogspot.com
oh and how did you guys find us? It's so cool!

Karen said...

I'm not even entirely sure what "darning socks" involves...sounds dangerous.

kachers said...

holy cow!! I wish i could craft like you! The stockings look GREAT - I need to do some! And your turkey looks so bright & fall-ish! LOVE IT! YAY for Syd!! And that nativity looks great - where'd you buy the pieces? I have so much to learn from you - you should post a pic of the 'soft books' you mentioned - are they kid books? SO IMPRESSED!

Haylee Mecham said...

Dev you can come work on all the stuff I want to do now... deal?

Katie said...

Love your crafts! way to be! Also, yay for sydney and walking!!

Bethany said...

You darn socks?