I decided we were going to broaden our horizons and find new Quick and Easy meals we liked. I don't usually try new recipes though, because I have a few requirements that they usually don't meet. They are as follows:
1. The recipe must be FAST.
2. The recipe must be EASY (aka have about 8 ingredients or less - this is a vague and general rule. I do actually have recipes with more than 8 ingredients, but I stay away from long intense recipes (Sorry Kiery!)
3. I must have the majority of the ingredients AND gadgets needed in my current possession. I really hate buying new things for a meal you want to try and discovering you hate the meal anyway and you will never again use the 7 lb bag of ingredient x you purchased and used 3 tsp of.
4. Any ingredients I do not own must be fairly easy to find and cheap. I found a recipe for potatoes last week, and the first ingredient was Spanish Smoked Paprika. Excuse me? What? That doesn't work for me.
Enter my new favorite magazine:
I've been getting this magazine for a couple of years, but I've never made a recipe from it. Who knows why. Until this month. I realized I own almost all the ingredients for about 95% of the recipes in here, so I tried a taco bake and was pleasantly surprised! This week we had the Chicken Parmesan (the breading is made with Ritz crackers!), the bruschetta chicken bake, and the blueberry cheese rolls. While none of them are what you would consider gourmet (Olive Garden's Chicken Parm is better), they are really good, fast, easy, and use ingredients that I own! Yay!!!! After a little bit of tweaking a couple of things (the bruschetta needs a bit more wetness and we made raspberry cheese rolls instead of blueberry) I think we're going to really love some of these and use them frequently! At least we'll have a bit more variety in our menu now! If you want to get this magazine, you can sign up for free here! Enjoy!P.S. Don't use the tangy pork chop recipe. It was really icky.

10 comments:
You should start a freezer group! It is wonderful! You make a dinner for however many people are participating that month & go & swap at someone's house & have treats, play games & chat! It is marvelous! I have a freezer full of yummy dinners that all I have to do is take them out of the freezer & heat them! Like frozen dinners, only better because they are homemade!
It's a great magazine, especially for the easy meals part. I, on the other hand, love to try to be gourmet and make long and difficult recipes when I have the time. It's fun!
I LOVE THAT MAGAZINE!!!!!! It really does have good recipes. You know what, do you guys like fried rice??? I have a really easy recipe that tastes great if you want it. Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!!!
I love this magazine! You are right, there are a few recipes that shouldn't be eaten, but the ideas are there. I have taken a few of their recipes and tweeked them to our family's liking...I'll have to send you some of my easy recipes.
HAve you ever made Paninis? They're are new favorite- and so very tasty (and EASY). Just use good bread (we just buy some of the artisan bread from Costco), then spread on mayo, mustard, and pesto. Then just put on your fillings- we usually use Provolone cheese, pastrami, mushrooms, red onion, and spinach. Sprinkle a little S&P and basil, butter the outsides, and slap in on your George Forman grill to cook until the cheese melts. MMMMMM. .
I love this magazine too, I keep them up in my cupboard by my other cookbooks that I never use! We need to make an updated Jemmett cookbook again too.
Hi, I'm Katie's cousin and I stumbled on here this morning from her blog. We love kraft magazine here! Anyway, I thought I'd suggest a few recipes that are so good, but you'll have to go on their website and look them up because I don't remember which magazine they were in :-)
Chicken, Cheese, and Spinach Manicotti (I leave out the chicken)
Creamy Bow-Tie Pasta with Chicken and Broccoli
Golden Crusted Pork Chops with Green Beans
Ham 'n Cheese Calzones
Weeknight Lasagna Toss
Sweet BBQ Chicken Kabobs
Happy cooking!
Hello!! Just wanted to let you know that I got your message!! Where are you living now? Anyway...talk to you soon
I love that they are seasonal. It's nice to get holiday cooking ideas! If you come across any good recipes send them my way. Oh and we should chat about the Twilight books!
I agree. This magazine has some great recipes! Yummy!
Post a Comment