Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Butterfly Pavillion

On Saturday we went somewhere new!  We'd never been to the Butterfly Pavillion, so we headed up for the morning. 
 Almost right off the bat this littlle girl had a huge smile on her face.  Mady didn't want to touch them.  She's not one for bugs.  She enjoyed looking though.  This butterfly was actually like 3 inches tall (long?)
 Here I am with our little butterflies watching one on the ground.  It was very hot and humid in here and you had to be careful because if you stayed in one place for too long the butterflies would land on your shoes.
We've been reading Fancy Nancy and had picked this one up only the night before.  In it, Nancy goes to a Butterfly Pavillion.  My girls were so stinkin' excited.  We read it on the way to the pavillion.  We even saw an azure butterfly, just like Nancy does.  Happy day.
 After that we headed over to pay a visit to the mascot of the Butterfly Pavillion, Rosie the tarantula!  We found out there are over 150 "Rosies" that they use so that the tarantulas don't get tired.  I first held a tarantula in 2nd grade and was fascinated.  While I'm not a huge fan of spiders, tarantulas don't bother me, so I immediately sat down and held Rosie.  Sydney initially held back, but there was no line and when she saw I didn't hesitate, she decided to go for it.  I think she just wanted a sticker.  Jess, this picture is for you. ;)
 After a lot of bribing, I got Mady to do it too.  Funny thing was, I bribed her with jelly beans, which she totally forgot about.  Sydney ate them.  Typical.  Mady's been sporting her "I held Rosie" sticker every day since.  I think she's pretty proud.
 We couldn't let Daddy miss out on the fun!  He wasn't excited, but was a good sport and humored me!
 Poor kid was all tuckered out and crashed on the way home!  Being brave is tough!  Great job girls (and Daddy!)
The Butterfly Pavillion was a fun little day trip.  The Insectarium at the St. Louis Zoo is better for butterflys (and free!), but this was a good version close to home.

4 comments:

Leah said...

My family loved going to the butterfly pavillion! I think james took about a hundred (or more) pics. That place was so fun! Looks like you guys had a great time as well. Wish we still lived close so we could get together! Miss you guys!

Amber said...

Sounds like fun, looks like fun, but I think it would creep me out too much. How do you not crush the butterflies just by walking around & sitting? I cannot believe any of you guys held "Rosie". Brave!

Heath and Jessica said...

We have been to a butterfly exhibit here at our zoo, it was really fun! I don't think I would go anywhere near "Rosie". Those things creep me out. I saw a plush mechanical one in Border's on a worker's back & headed in the opposite direction. I am a true arachnophobe!

Haylee Mecham said...

Looks like fun! I don't know if I would want to hold Rosie though.