Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Painting the Roomy Red...Sort of

The paint saga continues. Surprisingly enough, the next room to get done was...Ours! I was pretty sure that our room would be last, but we decided on a color and went to work this weekend. On Saturday we went shopping and got paint for our bedroom and the powder bath on the first floor (different colors). We also got a bunch of tools for Aaron (more on those to follow). Those gift cards from Christmas sure came in handy! (On the tools, not the paint. Don't worry!)
We both had Monday off for President's Day and went to work first thing in the morning. We taped and caulked and covered the floor. Then we started cutting in.
One more thing. The color (on the paint swatch) is called Warm Mahogany and is a deep red. (I know - you're all shocked. I haven't liked red since I was about 5 years old). Well, when the window is open and there's lots of light on it, the paint is a deep red. Kind of burgundy-ish. When the blinds are closed, it's like a deep plum. I like it! Here are some pictures!
Cutting in the Room
Us with our handiwork.
The master painter himself. Aaron was so good to help me paint even though he hates painting.

The room - looking very red I might add. It's not this red.


Our straight, clean line!

Look how pretty that is! For $1.28 you can buy Acrylic Painter's caulk at Home Depot or Lowes. You tape carefully, then apply the caulk where the tape meets the wall. Run your finger along the caulk to flatten it out. Paint like normal (cut in, roll, etc.) Let dry a bit, but not over night. Remove the tape. The caulk on the tape side will pull away, but the caulk on the wall will stay there. It stops the paint from bleeding through the tape, and you end up with beautiful clean lines like this! Hooray for whatever genius came up with painter's caulk! Oh and it lasts a long time. We did the nursery, the kitchen and dining room, and our bedroom with one tube. we might even have enough to do the powder bath with it before going to a new one! YAY!!! Come see our pretty paint job!

4 comments:

Shawn and Brittany said...

I love it! It will look so good with all your furniture in there. I didn't know about the caulk...why didn't you share this earier???

Hannah said...

Looks great!!!

Steve learned the caulking trick, but I tried it and just ended up with caulk in the carpet. Not so handy!

Sarah Schwartz said...

Thanks for the tip Dev. Hopefully we will painting our basement soon. Right now Nate's got 75% of the sheetrock up. My dream is to have it all donw by the time the baby comes, but that is a dream.

Vonda Wilson said...

Ahhhh, to be as young as you ...
It looks awsome. Enjoy you, two!