Thursday, May 13, 2010

Deep Thoughts for the Day

This morning as I bent over to pull something out of the dishwasher, Sydney surprised me. 
Sydney: Mommy, you have a baby in you tummy?
Me: Umm, I don't think so.  Do know about a baby in my tummy?
Sydney: Mady was in you tummy.
Me: That's right Sydney, Mady was in Mommy's tummy.
Sydney: I in another mommy's tummy.
Me (after a slightly stunned silence): That's right Sydney, you were in another mommy's tummy.
Sydney: Where my mommy go?
Me: I'm you're mommy.  Do you mean where is your birth mommy?
Sydney: Yeah.
Me: She was too little to take care of you (trying to keep this simple for her sweet little 2 year old brain), so she let you come live with us so we could be your mommy and daddy.  Wasn't that nice of her?
Sydney: Yeah.
Me: I love being your mommy.  Do you like me being your mommy Sydney?
Sydney: Yes.  And I love Mady too.

Note: We've had the conversation before that she didn't grow in my tummy, but I never expected her to remember it and it came out of nowhere today!  What a sweet little exchange with my baby.  I love you Sydney Bean and I'm so glad to be your mommy!
Sydney at 2 days old
Sydney at 2 1/2 years old

5 comments:

Allison said...

What a sweet moment. I love it!

Cara said...

love it. absolutely love it. especially coming from the other side, like me.

The Moyers said...

What a tender moment!

Southern Spud said...

Wow. Don't you love how much young children really do understand?

Kiffon said...

What a sweet little girl. And might I say, she sure is lucky to have such a wonderful mommy! And what an amazing blessing for you to have her.