Thursday, April 08, 2010

Something Fishy...

I've taken the girls to PetSmart frequently as a reward for good behavior on trips to Target (the stores share a parking lot).  Almost every time we have gone in someone has commented on Sydney's absolute love of all animals by saying, "You've got to get her a pet!"  At which point I usually smile politely and inform them that I have enough messes and bodily fluids to clean up with 2 toddlers.  Mady has really gotten into the animals lately too, but I still held with my firm resolve that my hands are just too full right now.  Then we met Pancake.  On an ordinary trip to PetSmart we met the most adorable little Dachsund/Boxer/Sharpay (i.e. MUTT) you've ever seen.  If he hadn't been a puppt in every sense of the word (the poop guy couldn't take a drink without tipping his water dish over), he might have come home with us.  As it is, my resolve just weakened a little.  When Aaron brought up getting the girls a fish tank a few weeks later, I thought, "that wouldn't be too bad."
We were thinking something small-ish but still bigger than our 1 gallon tank from college.  We started out with a 5 gallon tank.  The girls kept themselves busy during the set up.
Due to issues with filters, location, and I don't remember what else, we ended up purchasing 3 different tanks and keeping the largest - a 10 gallon tank.  This did mean we got to get some pretty things to put in it though!
Can you see the fishies?
Funnily enough, we originally though Sydney would enjoy the fish the most, but Mady is the one who loves them!  She drags a little chair over to the counter and watches the fish while she eats her snacks.  So cute.  Sydney prefers our frog and vacuum fish.
All in all, we ended up with 12 schooling fish (3 different kinds, 4 each), 1 vacuum fish (a corydora I think?  they clean the bottom, thus Sydney's name for it), and 1 African dwarf frog that Sydney named Rupert.
I think that's my favorite part.

4 comments:

sheriecagle said...

Those pics are adorable! That's such a great idea. Our Pediatrician has fish tanks in each exam room and it's amazing how the kids are so mezmorized by them. Is it a pain to clean the tank? I have zero experience with fish.

Cara said...

i l-o-v-e that sydney named the frog rupert. where did she come up with such a fabulous name? and i love the picture of the girls in the diaper boxes. sooooo cute!

Heath and Jessica said...

It looks like they are both enjoying the fishies! I am glad that you are willing to put up with cleaning a fish tank over dog/cat. We have a fish tank at work & I am fine with someone ELSE cleaning it. I guess I like pets that I can pet & that have fur. The girls are too cute sitting in front of the tank! I have such adorable nieces!

Southern Spud said...

We too have been sucked into the "you've got to get H a ____", so much so that when we found a cat (uh, oh, weak spot! Having a cat was MY childhood dream!) and couldn't find it's owner . . . well, um, sorry hun, but I haven't found a new home for Mitzie yet! ;)