Monday, June 25, 2012

Fancy Pants & All Girl

Are you so impressed?  This is my second post in less than 2 weeks!  Hooray for me!  We're still in camera throw up mode, but mostly for this post because it illustrates a very important part of my life right now - Dress up.  Mady is ALL GIRL and loves to get fancy.  Sydney will sometimes get in on the action too, but mostly it's Mady.  While driving in the car the other day she burst into tears. When I finally got her to talk to me she said, "I'm just not pretty!"  After assuring her that she was beautiful, I asked what she was talking about and she explained that she wasn't pretty because she didn't have a skirt on.  Oh. My. Gosh.  Seriously?  I always wanted a girly girl, but seriously?  Where the crap did that come from?  Welcome to my life. 
 At any given time there is usually at least 1 person in my house dressed in something exciting.  When my kids were little I wanted them to dress up and I would pull out the dress ups for them to try to get them to engage in imaginative play.  This is no longer remotely necessary, so I cannot take credit for any of these creations.
 I should also mention that the ONLY times that I try to influence my children's clothing choices are on Sunday and when we go to events/classes with a dress code.  It's just not worth a fight to me over something I care so little about.  Sydney is usually good with my Sunday choices as long as I choose a pretty poofy dress.  Mady has a little more funk in her style and is not always ok with my very bland creations.  This is illustrated by her stripey tight addition to my choice of lovely cream sweater dress.  Somehow she pulls it off, and yes, I did let her go to church like this.
 Here she is the same day.  Mother's Day in fact.  After church she got a little more exciting with the accessories.  Mommy sort of kills her sense of style.
 Sydney got it in her head that her lovely primary teacher (whom she adores), said they should dress their moms up on Mother's Day.  Thus we have the following photo for proof that she did her homework.
 They were pretty giddy over the fact that mom was playing dress up too!
 Such silly kids!
 You can tell my girls have been to 1 too many princess parties.  When told to get dressed for a friend's outer space/alien party, this is what they came down dress in.  Syd has a Snow White dress and fairy wings (and prior to this picture had bobbly antennae on her head) and was a zombie princess (or something).  Mady had doctor scrubs, a Sleeping Beauty Dress, a princess wand, and a "masquerade ball" mask.  That's totally what I think aliens look like too.
 We've gotten some fantastic dress up finds at garage sales lately.  It has made Mady very happy.  On this day, we got a play wedding veil.  This was awesome since Mady had asked multiple times if she could wear mine on trips to Target.  I was mean and said no.  She cried a lot, so this was a great compromise.
 Syd found a pair of kid fishnets and went to town one day.  So entertaining.
 Here is a better picture of the veil, also some jingly anklets the girls found. 
 Those of you that know me well will laugh at this picture.  I found a cleopatra costume and could not resist.  Mady wore it around for a week straight.  This is her "walk like an egyptian" dance.
 Shockingly enough, this was taken about 2 weeks ago, not at Halloween.  That bucket goes with us about half the time.
 Seriously, the kid didn't take this outfit off.  She slept in it, scootered in it,
 She even went to the doctor in it and then went to ride the pony and the grocery store.  We got some great looks at the dr office.
These girls sure keep life fun!  They crack me up and as you can see, my life is very colorful right now! 

5 comments:

Heath and Jessica said...

Oh Devony, these pics were cracking me up! They will be perfect in my book! Awesome! And, Mady is DEFINATELY YOUR child. Who else in the family could she have learned dress up from?

Southern Spud said...

Ha, these are great! H is like Syd: likes things dressy, but simple dressy. (She still, at 6, wears dresses 80-90% of the time.) She got a Fancy Nancy doll from Gma S and a FN book from Gma C, and then she decided she didn't like FN. Just too crazy for her. She agreed to keep the doll, though, if I cut the purple out of her hair, lol!

I still try to work out some compromises on Sundays, though. No play dresses and no dress-up dresses!

Wo is the day when laundry's behind, no matter what the day of the week!! Doesn't matter what's spilled all down the front of it, once she thinks of something to wear, she's determined to wear it!

I think I need to invest in some hanging shelves for Mon-Fri outfits once first grade starts up, but I don't know how much of a difference it will make with what she ends up wearing!

Kiffon said...

So cute! I love that you don't make them change when you leave the house.

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

So fun to see you blogging again! Your girls are growing up so quickly, and I don't think you've aged one little bit! =) We miss you guys!

Southern Spud said...

Okay, I stand completely and utterly corrected. *I* am more like Syd. *H* IS more like M. I'm just blind, that's all. It's been a month now, so I can't remember the conversation, but straight from H's mouth: yes, she likes fancy. I just don't buy her things that are fancy enough. Sigh.....Okay, so new (clearance!!), bright orange floral summer dress? Does that work okay? Two thumbs up. SCORE! No more morning tears about not having anything to wear. PHEW. On to finding matching hair accessories. (Okay, this is out of my league. HELP!!!! Oh, dear, how I could have benefitted from having a sister!)